- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (gluten free: mix flour with this base - 1/2 cup Rice Flour, 1/2 cup Brown Rice Flour, 1/2 cup sorghum flour, 1/2 cup Tapioca flour, 1/2 cup corn starch, pinch flaxseed); 1 teaspoon xanthan gum for gluten free
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup unsalted roasted sunflower seed kernels
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until fluffy and pale in color, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the coconut oil, eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and beat just until combined.
- Stir in the oats, shredded coconut, and sunflower seeds.
- Drop the cookie batter by the spoonful onto a prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are beginning to turn golden.
Sunflower seeds can go stale fairly quickly so be sure to use ones that are fresh
This recipe is courtesy of the Daring Gourmet - I made a few additions from my own baking experience
Sunflower Seed and Sunbutter Cookies are great options if you have a peanut allergy - plus sunflower seeds are a high source of zinc, selenium and vitamin e!